Bad Breath Solutions (PD)
Bad breath is an unpleasant smell in the mouth, medically known as Halitosis. It is a common problem that is long-lasting or can happen on occasions. It can be embarrassing and in some situations cause anxiety.
The primary reason of bad breath is due to the increase of bacteria that forms in the mouth. These sulphur producing bacteria feed on the accumulated food particles found between the teeth and tongue surface, which releases a bad odour.
Common Causes For Halitosis (Bad Breath)
Several factors can lead to bad breath:
- Food habit
- Poor oral health
- Periodontal disease (infection of the gums)
- A condition called ‘Dry mouth’ affecting the flow of saliva
- Decayed teeth
- Mouth infections
- Dentures or braces
- Other medications
- Tobacco and alcohol
How To Eliminate Bad Breath
Improving oral hygiene will help remove bacteria and prevent plaque build-up.
Some effective ways to combat bad breath include:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Brush your tongue
- Use mouthwash and fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily
- Rinse your mouth after every meal
- Drink plenty of water
- Chew on sugar-free gums
- Eat a balanced diet with less processed sugar
- Stop smoking
- Ensure a regular visit to your dentist.
“There is always a risk for any surgical or invasive procedure. Hence, before proceeding, we recommend you to seek a second opinion from a qualified health practitioner.”